Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Willette Photography Class

Brandy told me about a free online photography class. I signed up because I am always trying to improve my photography skills and I can always afford FREE! If you are interested check it out here, you can still sign up for it! Anyway I thought I would post my assignments on here every few days. Each day we get a different assignment. I am using my Nikon D40 camera.

DAY 01: what they do

This can apply to anything your loved ones “do”….what do they do for work?  What do they do for play?  What chores do they do around the house?  Find something they “DO” and document it. We also had to find good lighting in our house and to pay attention to light sources. I shot in manual mode, which I am still not completely sure I understand what I am doing, but my pictures are turning out pretty good.

I couldn’t decide on just 1 picture so I am using two.

willette day 1

my photo settings were: f/4.5, Aperture f/4.10, shutter speed 1/30th, ISO 800 I used my 55-200mm lens

Kaylee loves to play in the kitchen. She has multiple tea parties every day  and is always bringing me something yummy to eat! I didn’t get a good picture of her looking at me, but I liked this picture of her focusing on what she is “making.”

willette day 1v1

my photo settings were: f/4.5, shutter speed 1/500th, Aperture f/4.00, ISO 800 I used my 55-200mm lens

Averi loves her Binkie…she is our only one that has taken a pacifier. Do you see the peanut butter on her cheek?  The 4th child is kind of neglected sometimes! This is in our play room in front of a window. We don’t get the evening light on the back of the house, but it still gave off enough light for a good picture of her eyes.

DAY 02 how they look

Capture your loved one at their best (or at their worst).  Or both.  What you’re trying to capture is the TRUE essence/expression/attitude/posture that SCREAMS your loved one!  (and remember, your loved one can be ANYONE or any pet...and you don’t have to photograph the same person for each assignment).

camera tip for today:
POSITION
Pay attention to your body position when you photograph.  If your subject is little, make sure to get down on his or her level.

I pulled  out my 50mm lens today. I have a love/hate relationship with this lens. I love the results I get with it, but it does not autofocus with my camera so I have lots of unfocused shots when I use it; shots that would have been great if I had autofocus. There is a 35 mm lens that autofocuses with my camera, but at a $200 price tag it will be a little while until I can get it, maybe I’ll just get a new camera.

willette day 2 2

my photo settings were: f/1.80, Aperture f/1.70, shutter speed 1/80th, ISO 800 I used my 50 mm lens

Averi is showing me here teeth. She now has 5 teeth! 2 on bottom and 3 on top. I was sitting on the floor to take this picture and she kept coming to get in my lap and climb on me.

willette day 2

my photo settings were: f/1.80, Aperture f/1.70, shutter speed 1/40th, ISO 800 I used my 50 mm lens

This is how my kids look watching TV. I loved that they were all 3 sitting in the big green chair together and not fighting. I think they were watching Kipper.

2 comments:

Brandy said...

So impressed that you're doing it...I haven't started yet! :)

Andrea said...

Those look awesome. I love the one of kaylee playing. I need to share mine too. Are you uploading them to the flickr acct?

Related Posts with Thumbnails